Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grants for Immigrants

If you are an immigrant looking to get grants, you are in luck because you are usually entitled to grants that U.S. citizens are entitled too. Immigrants may include Asians, Europeans, Africans, or just about anyone that came from another country and reside in the U.S. To qualify for governments grants you have to be permanent resident. If you are an illegal immigrant, you may not be able to receive a grant.

Before you start applying for grants, you need to figure out exactly what type of grant you want to apply for. There are many grants out there for many different kinds of situations. If you are looking to get training and seek a higher education, then you would apply for the Pell grant for immigrants. These grants are provided to those low income individuals who are unable to afford the cost of college. To get the Pell grant you need to get the FAFSA and fill out that. The form will ask about your income and your assets which the government then uses to calculate the amount of money you will get. The less money and assets that you have, the more grant money you will get. So if you are really destitute, you would get the most amount of money. For those immigrants that make too much money, they would not get any grants at all.

If you are an immigrant that wishes to start a business, then you would need to look specifically for business grants for immigrants. You can find such grants from These are federal level grants. Do not forget that you may be able to find grants at the state level. There are also organizations that will give out business grants too. They may deal specifically with immigrants only. Try to see if you can find these organizations in your city. You can check with the Chamber of Commerce to see if they can help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment